top of page

Never Give Your Dog These Foods!

Surely you are familiar with those big round eyes staring at you from a distance while you're eating, waiting for eye contact to come running, laying their chin on your lap begging for a bite. And chances are, that you won't be able to resist the cuteness. But before you decide to give your furry friend a bite from your food make sure that it is safe for them to eat as some foods and snacks are dangerous for dogs to eat and could cause many issues to their health.

Brown border collie dog leaning on his bowl waiting for food


Here are some of the foods that you should never give to your dog.

Please note that this list does not include all toxic and dangerous foods hence we highly recommend that you check the safety of food products with your vet before serving them to your dog.

 

1. Avocados


Unless it's a cute stuffed avocado toy, never give avocados to your dog. Avocados are highly toxic to dogs and could cause upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting. It could also cause heart damage and pancreatitis if consumed in large amounts.


The Avocado tree contains Persin; a fungicidal toxin in high amounts in the leaves, skin, and pit. While it is generally harmless for humans to consume, it is dangerous to dogs and domestic animals in general.


If you suspect that your dog has ingested avocados contact the vet immediately; signs of toxicity include diarrhea, vomiting, and upset stomach.


2. Chocolate


Chocolate is not only toxic to dogs but could also be fatal if consumed in large amounts.

Consumption of chocolate by dogs could cause serious illness due to the several ingredients that chocolate contains which threaten your dog's health, such as caffeine and sugar.


Chocolate also contains Theobromine; a chemical toxin that dogs cannot metabolize well. The amount of theobromine defers depending on the type of chocolate, the darker the chocolate is the higher amount of toxins it contains.


Chocolate poisoning signs include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, racing heart rate, seizures, and heart failure in severe cases.

If you suspect that your dog consumed chocolate, we urge you to get immediate treatment from your vet.


3. Products that contain caffeine


Imagine starting your day without a cup of coffee, you probably won’t have enough energy to keep you going through the day. Unlike us, dogs don’t need a booster to start their day off, they already wake up full of energy and playfulness.


Caffeine is a toxic chemical to dogs and could be fatal in some cases, caffeine consumption raises blood pressure and heart rate. It could also cause seizures and damage major organs such as the liver, and heart.


Please note that coffee is not the only product in your house that contains caffeine. Tea, chocolate bars, and some medications also contain caffeine.


4. fruit pits


Fruit pits found in fruits such as peach, plum, cherry, nectarine, and apricot are highly toxic to your dog and can be fatal.


Fruit pits contain amygdalin, a toxin that is found in the pit, leaves, and stems resulting in kidney failure and death.

Besides the poisonous toxin, dogs could choke on the pit or it could cause blockage in the intestines.


Symptoms of poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, increased heart rate, panting, and loss of appetite. If your dog ate a fruit pit take them to the vet immediately to get examined, the best treatment is an early one.


5. Onion and garlic


Onion and garlic in all their forms are toxic to dogs, this also includes all parts of the plant. Other Allium species such as shallots, and chives are also harmful to dogs. Garlic is even more concentrated in toxins than onion.


Alliums contain a toxin known as N-propyl disulfide, this toxin causes a breakdown of red blood cells and eventually destroys them which leads to Anemia in dogs.


If you suspect that your dog has ingested onions contact the vet immediately; signs of toxicity include diarrhea, vomiting, and upset stomach.

Please note that it may take a few days for symptoms to appear.


6. Raisins and grapes


Grapes and raisins toxicity results in kidney failure but unfortunately It has not been determined yet what exactly causes the fruit to be toxic.

Raisins are more concentrated which makes them more toxic than grapes.


Do not give your dog grapes or raisins at all as the dose of toxicity is not known, and depends on the individual dog. For some dogs, even one grape or raisin could lead to kidney failure and be fatal.


If your dog ingests a grape or a raisin contact the vet immediately as it is important to be treated right away; signs of toxicity include diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and weakness.


7. Xylitol


Even though it is a natural substitute for sugar, Xylitol is very dangerous and extremely toxic to dogs. It stimulates insulin which causes low blood sugar and can be life-threatening.


Xylitol is found in many products such as sugar-free gum, peanut butter, candy, and oral care products.


If you suspect that your dog has ingested Xylitol take your dog to the vet immediately; even very small amounts of xylitol could cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) but it can be reversed if treated right away.


8. Yeast dough


Raw bread dough contains yeast, when ingested by a dog the dough will keep fermenting in the dog's stomach and expanding causing problems such as a rise in alcohol level leading to toxicity which is life-threatening.


Ingestion of raw bread dough causes bloating, weakness, difficulty breathing, and seizures.


If you suspect that your dog has ingested raw bread daw that contains yeast contact the vet immediately; as the toxicity level can be fatal.


 

Please note that there are many other foods and beverages that shouldn't be served to dogs; such as macadamia nuts, alcohol, coconut flesh, dairy products, nuts, etc.

We highly recommend that before you give your dog any type of food check if it is safe or not. You can consult with your vet, or check trusted sources online.

If you suspect that your dog ate toxic food take them to the vet immediately, signs of toxicity include diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, and low energy.


 

We would love to hear from you! Please Email us for any information or questions and don't forget to subscribe to our blog to receive notifications about new posts and products.